Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Contest Entry "Beetle Design"

I have been working on a large piece for over a year now for a contest.  It is finally finished complete with matching earrings.  At first this was a challenge among a few of us beaders to create something using real beetle wings.  I love the iridescent quality of them and was drawn to the bright colors.  Then it became a larger project and I begin to think of entering it into a contest using seed beads.

The piece started with a rock that resembled a fossil, a beetle stamping, assorted seed beads, the coveted beetle wings, a vintage cabochon, stick coral and other various beads in matching hues.  It grew and grew until I ended up with this piece pictured below.

I had quite a time figuring out the fringe for this piece.  I needed something that would encapsulate the entire piece but in a more organic way than symmetrical fringe would.  It needed to lend itself to the whole piece rather than detract.  And everything I tried was just wrong until I finally found the stick coral quite by accident.  Than I had to actually find enough to edge the whole piece.  It sat for months until finally...then voila!

SOLD



No comments:

Post a Comment