Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Abbe Museum Auction Piece

I have been struggling with whether to create a new piece or donate an old one to the upcoming Abbe Museum auction.  I looked thru all of my cabochons looking for initial inspiration.  I found a great piece of turquoise carved in a pretty pattern but...it just was not quite right.  So I dug some more, thought some more, and then finally discovered an oval piece of bone I had.  From there I picked out a silver feather, some assorted beads in coordinating colors and a strand of dyed green turquoise.  I really wanted to use the turquoise beads which is what gave me the trouble with the blue piece of turquoise I was considering. 

I started it this afternoon inbetween visiting a friend in the hospital and all of the other things I cram into a day!  I started with the black beads and peyote stitched around and then switched to a pale brown for the top of it.  And from there the piece tells me what to do.  I love this part of the process when the mind takes over and it becomes exactly what it is supposed to be.

I really wanted to try to stay with a theme that matches what the Abbe museum stands for.  Its continuing indian education to the public and the crafts that have been carried thru the years with families and tribes.  i recently went to the gift shop in bar Harbor and found so many things to be inspired by.  I have 2 weeks to complete this piece and then it will be photographed for their auction book.  I am excited to be able to attend the festivities and be a a part of this great organization.  Last years event raised over $30 thousand dollars...wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment